Tuesday, January 20, 2015

How To: Mixed Media - Shrink Plastic Flowers

I have decided to stretch myself this year and try more mixed media techniques.  Today, I worked with shrink plastic and alcohol inks.  I used Ruff 'N Ready shrink plastic.  I used a collection of Tim Holtz® Adirondack® Alcohol Inks to color the ruff side. I placed a couple drops of each purple, red, orange, green, and yellow then used rubbing alcohol to dilute the colors as I applied them to the shrink plastic.  It dries really fast and you want it quite light because it will concentrate the color when it shrinks.  Once dry, I used the Sizzix Bigz Flower #2 to cut a large poinsettia flower that was over 4" in diameter. I used a 1/8" long reach hole punch in the centre of the die cut flowers.  I then placed them on a pizza pan covered with parchment paper in a 275F oven and waited.  Soon they started to curl and shrink. After a couple of minutes they flattened right out. The final flowers are half the size of the originals at 2" across. Check in a bit to see the cards I made with these flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.