Monday, October 12, 2015

Mosaic Monday - Leaf Canvas

Here's another canvas I have been working on.  I wanted to do some nature printing which involves taking real leaves, applying acrylic paint to them and printing them onto a substrate.  I the past, I have used card stock and used the prints in cards.  I thought I would to the same process on canvas.  Again, the lack of stiffness to the canvas presented a challenge.

I used Liquidtex Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red Medium, Titanium White, Phthalo Blue.  I have applied a thin layer of Texture Paste with a palette knife.

Overall it was not too bad but I found the final piece a little flat.  The maple leaf I had used for the printing was a deep dark color and was really gorgeous looking and I hated to throw it away.  With the canvas looking flat I thought this is just what it needs.  How to preserve it?  A bit of checking and I painted both sides with Modge Podge.  It needed a bit of strengthing so I using Modge Podge I adhered some deep burgundy mulberry paper to the back in strategic places.  That will do nicely.

I cut letters from card stock painted with deep dark brown paint.  I cut them with Stampin Up Little Letters framelits.  I brushed them with some gold acrylic then adhered them to the canvas with quick dry adhesive.

Sharing as part of Mosaic Monday hosted by Judith at Lavender Cottage.

2 comments:

  1. Your canvas art is beautiful. I love the leaves and pretty colors. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How BEAUTIFUL, I really love this. This is a wonderful project~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love to read your comments.